Vegan Lemon and Coconut Tendercake with a Lemon Glaze Icing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease/line a cake tin - you can use a 20cm/8in cake tin or a loaf tin.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the oil, sugar and coconut milk together, followed by the lemon zest, 3 tablespoons of juice and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, whisking to combine, then pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30–35 minutes. The top will be golden brown, the sides shrinking away from the tin and a skewer should come out clean. Place the cake on a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely in its tin.
- To make the lemon glaze icing first zest the lemon and leave to one side. Make a simple lemon glaze icing by gradually adding lemon juice to the icing sugar - you want a thick, but pourable glaze consistency.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake, leave to set for about an hour or so before serving the cake in slices.
Use as much of the thick/creamy part of the coconut milk as you can. I would not recommend using low fat/reduced fat coconut milk for this recipe.
This recipe should also work well using lime juice and zest instead of the lemon, or even a combination of the two.
Do not be tempted to remove the cake from its tin until it is completely cool - it fragile and likely to break until it has time to cool and firm up.