Sunday, 16 August 2015

A rather virtuous & moreish vegan banana cake

I love this banana cake recipe. Why I should be so surprised that it's moist, moreish & totally delicious & what a banana cake should taste like is beyond me. I guess because I think a cake is usually helped along by a generous dose of sugar! However this definitely disproves that theory. Healthy, wholemeal, vegan, processed sugar free, low fat and packed with oats too. 


If you feel this recipe is just a step too far into healthiness you could always add a cream cheese or (throwing all caution to the wind!) a peanut butter icing. Both would be a tasty addition but I personally don't think this recipe needs it. 


For all my cake baking experience it is still something of a mystery to me and I am always surprised when the chemical reactions have done their thing and something edible appears. I am much happier with a savoury dish - where I can add a pinch of this or that and more often than not create without thinking too much. Using my mental back catalogue of flavour & ingredient combinations. 


Baking involves me having to concentrate - which can be a struggle for my butterfly mind. You have to weigh things out and measure! But a good lesson in mindfulness I am sure. Your mind cannot wander too far off the present moment to be a successful baker, and being in the 'now' is something I am always aiming for - in life as in baking...
Let me know what you think, and also if you have any of your own tried and tested favourite banana cake recipes.

Bon appetit and I hope you enjoy. I think it's delicious. Great with a cup of tea, on picnics, for a healthy snack whilst out and about and for packed lunches. Also a great food for cyclists - who we all know only cycle so they can eat more cake. I am of course only basing this on personal cycling experience! This recipe does however have a good combination of slow and fast release energy with the combination of dried fruit and oats. 


vegan,vegetarian, baking, banana cake, banana loaf, sugar free baking, banana recipes, healthy cooking,
a rather virtuous and moreish vegan banana cake recipe


preparation time:5-10 minutes
cooking time: approx 50-60 minutes

cooking hints & tips: 
  • you can add chopped nuts to the recipe if you would like - just add your choice of nut (about 75-100g) when you add the dry ingredients. 
  • a great way of using up ripe bananas - cutting down on waste food is always a good thing.

ingredients:
360g ripe banana
115g raisins/sultanas
115g wholemeal flour
115g oats
90ml oil (I used rapeseed)
60ml cold tea/water
1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
1 tsp ground cinnamon

method:
  1. preheat the oven to gas 5/190c and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
  2. mix and mash the banana with the raisins, then add the oil and tea/water. You can do this by hand or give it a quick whizz in a food processor
  3. fold in the flour, oats, cinnamon and baking soda and spoon the cake mix into your prepared tin.
  4. bake for 50-60 minutes. It's done when a skewer comes out clean
  5. leave for 10-15 minutes in the tin before turning our to cool on a wire rack. Leave to cool completely before slicing and eating. Enjoy!


Thanks for stopping by. You can say bonjour and connect with us on FacebookTwitterInstagram & Bloglovin too and sign up to our newsletter hereWe look forward to welcoming you soon at De Tout Coeur Limousin.  




Love Cake logo
Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe! Funnily enough just last weekend I did not want to throw out brown, mushy bananas. So, I totally mushed them up and made non-dairy banana nut break muffins - soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cycling friend who is always on the lookout for recipes like these. The combination of all the fruit and oats sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great food for cyclists & non cyclists alike. I'm just waiting for some bananas to ripen so I can make it again 😊

      Delete
  3. This sounds lovely! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - and healthy too. Just waiting for my bananas to ripen again!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are always appreciated.