dark chocolate, stem ginger and peanut butter tiffin

dark chocolate, stem ginger and peanut butter tiffin 
deer watching in the evening sun
a curious bonjour from one of the local Limousine cows


dark chocolate, stem ginger and peanut butter tiffin

 

The first frost is on the ground, the log fires are on, and the cranes have started their annual migration south. They call in every year at Lac de Vassiviere, and it's such a wonderful sight and sound when the flocks of thousands fill the sky. It is always a sign that winter is on the way. 

Autumn is such a beautiful time of year here in the Limousin. The days may be getting shorter but it is still good to get out on foot and explore the many trails and walks through the local forests, and there will always be wildlife to spot. I love seeing deer when out and about, and have recently noticed that they have become more regular visitors to our garden too (being fans of the regular supply of windfall apples from our tree I think). 

My dark chocolate, stem ginger and peanut butter tiffin is a recipe made for autumn days. Rich, crunchy and with a hint of spice from the ginger. Just the thing to enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee. 

ingredients: 
100g dark chocolate - broken into chunks 
75g stem ginger chopped 
75g peanut butter 
175g petit beurre/rich tea biscuits or similar plain biscuits
50g butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder 
2 tbsp stem ginger syrup 

method: 

line a baking tin with greaseproof paper - I used a 20cm x 10cm bread tin

whizz the biscuits in a food processor, or put them in a plastic food bag and crush with a rolling pin. A mixture of finer and chunkier bits of broken biscuit is fine and adds to the texture. 

melt the butter, peanut butter, chocolate and ginger syrup in a sauce pan over a low heat

add the crushed biscuits, stem ginger and 1 tbsp cocoa powder to the melted mixture and stir well

spoon into a prepared tin and press down well. Leave to cool in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours until it has set. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp of cocoa powder and cut into slices before serving. 




Lou Messugo




Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com


Link up your recipe of the week


Casa Costello

Comments

  1. This looks soooooo good! Dark chocolate, ginger and peanut butter sound like an amazing combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely confirm it is a rather good combination ;)

      Delete
  2. Yum - do you manage to buy stem ginger in France though? I have never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie - it definitely is a bit yum. I have not bought it in France before, but there is an asian supermarket near us that may stock it. I made the stem ginger in this recipe myself from a great recipe by Sarah James in her blog here: http://www.talesfromthekitchenshed.com/2016/10/homemade-stem-ginger/ I highly recommend it! Can't wait to make some more. So easy and just delicious.

      Delete
    2. Fabulous link - thank you. I would never have thought of making my own!

      Delete
    3. me neither, I had always thought it would be too complicated. But the recipe is so simple and the results were great :)

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely, great mix of flavours. Love the deer you spotted in the trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alison. It's definitely one of my favourite things about living and working here in the heart of nature.

      Delete
  4. Dark chocolate and ginger is a favourite combo for me. I don't use a lot of peanut butter, I will have to give it a go! Thanks for making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very welcome - let me know when you give it a go :)

      Delete
  5. Yum!! This sounds so good. So many of my favourite flavours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you - some of my favourite flavours too. Will definitely be making it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bit of a thing for buying stem ginger - it always looks so appealing in the shops but I forget about it once home. I love the sound of this autumn version of tiffin. Thanks so much, once again for joining in with Bake of the Week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used up a whole jar with several batches of this tiffin. It was definitely a well received gift when I made it for friends. A lovely thing to go with a cuppa. Thanks so much for hosting too.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely recipe for autumn! I also loves seeing all the autumn nature at this time of year - we have deer in one of our local parks and some of this tiffin would be lovely to take with us on a nature walk there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like the perfect thing for a walk in the country. Hope you are having a good weekend :)

      Delete
  9. Wow, a fantastic combination of flavours! Thanks for linking up with #TreatPetite

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have thought of putting ginger and peanut butter together. I'm thoroughly intrigued now. Tiffin is one of my favourite things and I've been thinking for a while that it's been far too long since I last made some. Thanks for sharing with #WeShouldCocoa.

    As for deer, they are not my favourite animals.They managed to demolish pretty much everything the birds, voles, mice and slugs didn't get - it's been our poorest harvest ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a bit of spice, and the ginger is lovely with the chocolate and peanut butter.

      Sorry to hear about your harvest! Very frustrating for you I imagine. We had a bit of a slug and bird war, with plenty of broken egg shells and all manner of natural deterrents! The deers have so far been distracted by the windfall apples...

      Delete
  11. Heaven or what?! Anything with ginger is a winner for me and combined with peanuts and chocolate I think you've hit the jackpot with this combination. Thanks for linking to #AllAboutFrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Phoebe - I would have to agree - love those flavours. Time to get a new batch in the fridge I reckon...

      Delete
  12. These look delicious. Thank you for entering #TeaTimeTreats!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are always appreciated.

Popular Posts